Documentation Requirements for Fiji

Documentation Requirements for Fiji

Documentation Requirements for Fiji

Overseas visitors intending to marry in Fiji are required by law to complete and sign an Application for Special Licence under Section 21 of the Marriage Act, before submitting it to the Registrar General’s Office in Suva one month before the intended marriage.  The couple must also provide certified copies of the following documents to the Registrar for verification purposes before the wedding.  (Documents must be certified by a JP or Public Notary and accompany the Special Licence Application)   Essence Tours will organize for their clients’ documents to be sent to the appropriate person in Fiji.

  • Birth Certificates for the Bride and Groom
  • Valid Passports (with at least 6 months validity)
  • If applicable, Decree Nisi if either party has been previously married
  • Death Certificate if previous spouse is deceased
  • Certificate of Single Status or Certificate of No Legal Impediment is required by all couples
  • Marriage applicants from Japan must produce the Koseki-Shouhon to certify their personal details
  • Two witnesses who are 21 years of age and over must be present
    (If couple are traveling alone, most resorts are able to provide witnesses)

Please note that the marriageable age in Fiji is 18 years

Most resort Wedding Packages include the cost of the Marriage Licence, however, there are instances where the couple will need to pay for the Licence direct to the Registry Office.  The current fees are shown below in Fijian dollars.

  • Application for Special Licence F$20.70
  • Marriage officiated in the Registry F$23.00
    (including normal standard Marriage Certificate)
  • Marriage officiated by the Registrar or District Registrar
    after official working hours F$31.40
  • ‘Masi’ designed Marriage Certificate F$15.70
  • Standard Certificate F$5.75

(Prices quoted are inclusive of Fiji Government taxes, but are subject to change without notice)

Apostille Seal

All registered Marriage Certificates will be forwarded to the Foreign Affairs office to obtain an Apostille Seal to authenticate that the marriage is legal and recognized in foreign countries.